2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
stEEvano
Apprentice
Apprentice

Replacing radiators and thermostats

by stEEvano » Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:05 pm

Im about to replace my radiators and stats,

Few questions,

1 Whats the average height i should set my radiators to the wall above the floors?

2 Will slightly bigger radiators cause problems with my heating system i.e too much volume of water in them cause differential heating problems?

3 Which way does the water flow in the radiator, i.e does it flow from thermostat to shut off valve on opposit side or vice versa?

4 Is the thermostat change simply a straight swap and do they need to be set up or do they have there own set points, what i mean is, once i fit them should i close the stat to 0 or full before filling up water and turning heating back on?

5 Wheres the best place to buy good quality radiators and nice stats at cheapest prices on the net?
(i realise you mmaybe cant reply to this due to advertising maybe, but if so any feedback would be great)

Cheers

Steve

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:37 pm

The average height ??

Not that simple, it depends on:
depth of skirting boards
where the pipes come from (if they drop down the wall, along the skirting then connect to the radiator, the radiator has to be hung higher to accomodate the pipework. If the pipes come straight up from the floor into the valves, the radiator can be hung lower)

Radiator sizing - you have to measure to room, do the calcs to see what size radiator you need - incorrect sizing = poor system performance.

Direction of flow, depends on the valves you buy - read the instructions. With most the direction of flow doesn't matter.

When filling, it's best to leave the proetectibve caps that come with the radiator on the valves (this is the only way of shutting the valves competely) if you have a leak you may need to close the valves quickly - not be messing around removing TRV heads and replacing the caps.

I have fitted many Wickes own radiators (customers request) and have had no bother, they're cheap and seem to be good quality. Although Myson are the best (my opinion).

Pegler terrier radiator valves, good, strong, maintenance free.

htg

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:17 pm