Replacing security light with bypass switch
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
garfield59
Tradesman
Tradesman

Replacing security light with bypass switch

Post by garfield59 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:32 pm

We have two security lights on the outside of our extension and they are connected through switches in my workshop so the PIR sensors can be bypassed if I want the lights to stay on. Unfortunately I have to replace one of them and I'm trying to find out if I need a particular type of fitting that can be operated using the bypass switches.
Many thanks
Gary

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Replacing security light with bypass switch

Post by Mr White » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:59 pm

That would depend on make / model of the new fitting.

Most, not all, have a "facility" where by if you switch the light off, then back on again within 10 seconds they will stay on indefinitely. To return to normal operation you switch off then back on after 20 seconds, the light will come on for its set time then it will go out........until movement is detected.

garfield59
Tradesman
Tradesman

Post by garfield59 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:02 pm

Thanks for the quick response.
I have seen that "facility" mentioned in the spec for various lights but I was hoping to use the bypass switches that are already there. The wiring to the light I replaced has four cores but I think most lights, without provision for a bypass switch, only use three.
The light I'm replacing is a LAP 7214G but I don't think they are made any more.

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by Mr White » Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:25 pm

Without seeing the wiring I can only guess, but I would say you can still use your existing switch.
Your light would have had Live, Neutral and Earth, AND switched live. This would have connected directly to the lamp.

How ever if you connect your new lamp to Neutral earth and Switched live, you can use your switch to interrupt the supply to the light (As previously mentioned) there by solving your problem.

You would need to take the switch off to see what colour it actually switches, then connect your light to this at the other end, and of course you will have to isolate the Live at the lamp end.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:14 am