reverting back to the old bathroom
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
james78uk
Labourer
Labourer

reverting back to the old bathroom

by james78uk » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:27 pm

Hi All...

I live in a 100 year old (currently 2 bedroom) semi detached house and i am looking to change my existing bathroom to its old location.
The bathroom currently is on the first floor at the back of the house ie. at the top of the stairs. In the original build it was at the top of the stairs but behind this was a small 3rd bed room.
I am looking to revert the bathroom back to the old size as we now need a 3rd room.

To this mean putting up 3 partition walls - 1 at the top of the stairs at an angle to the right, 1 to split part of the back room and another to encolse the bathroom.
Do i need planning permision to do this?
What width does there need to be at the top of the stairs in order to pass building regulations for hall ways?
Is there a certain width in order to walk up the stairs then turn at the top (180 degrees) and walk along the landing?
I had a quote from a builder and he says even though he is not a qualified electrician he can move sockets and light fittings and add sockets to the circuits - is he right?

Sorry if these questions seem a bit poorly described!!!!
Thanks for your help - this is a really useful website

Cheers

James

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:44 pm

james78uk,
You do not need PP but will need BR approval. Suggest you get this by applying under the Building Notice method and you can then discuss clearances at the top of the stairs with the BI.
You builder can carry out the electrical work but he will need to issue a minor works certificate.
end

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:30 pm

"............but he will need to issue a minor works certificate."

How can he do that if he's not qualified and therefore, presumably, doesn't have the knowledge and proper calibrated test equpment to do the tests that an MWC requires?

Cheers

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:39 am

[quote="rosebery"]"............but he will need to issue a minor works certificate."

How can he do that if he's not qualified and therefore, presumably, doesn't have the knowledge and proper calibrated test equpment to do the tests that an MWC requires?

Cheers[/quote]
He can do this if BC are involved as mentioned by stoneyboy, you apply for the whole work being done under one application, save having to apply more than once, but I get your point, minor works can be done in special locations and kitchens but still a part p issue or registered electrician should be used.
So the builder can add and extend circuits in locations that are considered not to be special (bathroom,kitchen,outdoors etc... are special ones) but they must issue a minor works cert for this work to prove it complies with BS7671:2008 does not need to be quailified but should know how to inspect and test circuit and issue certs
KB

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1