rewiring house costs?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
gebstar
Labourer
Labourer

rewiring house costs?

Post by gebstar » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:37 am

Hi there just a quick question as i am looking to get my house fully rewired as it is in need of it. It is a 2 bedroom house with kitchen bathroom and living room. Could someone give me just a rough estimate as to the costs of this as i have no idea, before i get any quotes.

Thanks

ericmark

Post by ericmark » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:24 am

Sorry it like asking how long is a piece of string. £2000 lowest from someone just starting in the trade and doing min of work. £10,000 with the best of stuff. But move areas and that is completely wrong. All sorts of factors like electrical companies in some areas have very little work because house building has slumped but in other areas they as run off their feet as new rules and regulations have generated extra work. Good firms will take on work with little profit at times so they don't have to lay people off.
Before asking for an estimate you must decide what you want doing. And who will do what. It is common for householders to plaster and make good after the electrician. I don't think it is a good idea as electricians make more mess if they don't have to clear up after themselves. But a plaster will make a better job of plastering than an electrician. Sockets back to back save cost, and sockets in brick walls with thin plaster will cost more than in a stud wall. Each electrician will make suggestions and it is easy to have four estimates for really different work. Also skill is not something you can see on an estimate and if you know an electrician who has done good work for someone else it may well be worth paying double to ensure a good job. With a few exceptions you get what you pay for and the guy who has a really low price is often the one you will get problems with later. Changing your mind is also expensive. A casual can you fit that 6 inches to left can cost a lot of money so make sure you know exactly what you want. If you want a socket under the window between 3 and 5 foot from adjoining wall make sure that is what is asked for and not just a socket at the side of the bed which is later moved.
You must have heard it before. "That's exactly what I asked for but not what I want." Does not matter it is a computer program or house rewire it will cost money if you change what is asked for.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:36 pm