Ring main spur
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
paulhlewis
Labourer
Labourer

Ring main spur

Post by paulhlewis » Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:49 am

I would appreciate knowing what is the maximum recommended number of sockets that can be attached to a ring main using a single spur. ie can I attach a double socket followed by a further single socket?

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by sparx » Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:15 am

Hi, a spur taken from the ring either from an existing skt or by a junction box ca supply ONE point only , either a single or a double socket Or a spur to a fixed appliance.
if more than the above reqd. you may install a fused connection unit (fused Spur) before/inplace of the first socket that is on the spur cable, then you can have unlimited no. of outlets run as a radial from that.
reason being the total load you can put on the spur is 13A (the biggest fuse that fits in a FCU.
regards SPARX

paulhlewis
Labourer
Labourer

Post by paulhlewis » Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:18 am

Thanks Sparx.

My local City Electrical Factors looked at me blankly when I asked for a fused connection unit: I'll try somewhere else.
Are these supplied with different amp ratings or is there just a single rating

Thanks for your reply

Regards

Paul

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by sparx » Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:00 pm

Hi again Paul, try asking for a 'fused spur' the old name, they only come in one type and usually come fitted with a 13A fuse as standard, if CEF being unhelpful try any of the 'sheds', even the local general store in our village keeps them on the shelf!
regards SPARX

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:05 pm