Rinsing after cleaning with sugar soap
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Dadwood
Ganger
Ganger

Rinsing after cleaning with sugar soap

by Dadwood » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:18 pm

I'm just about to refresh the paintwork in my lounge. It's brilliant white and I'm just going to give it another coat. The existing paintwork is still in good nick. A mate told me not to bother sanding it but just to give it a good wash down with a strong sugar soap solution. He reckons the sugar soap will provide a good key for the new coat. He said not to rinse the sugar soap - just let it dry. Is this right? Or should I rinse off with clean water and let it dry before re painting?

theshedman
Foreman
Foreman

by theshedman » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:19 am

Hi Dadwood, if you are going to use sugar soap then you will need to wash it off afterwards otherwise the new paint will not adhere properly. I would always give it a light sanding too, just a light one as this will remove any small bits that may be in the last coat of paint. Then before giving it final coat wipe surface down with a tackcloth to remove the tiny bits you can't see but will propbably see after you have finished painting.

Dadwood
Ganger
Ganger

by Dadwood » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:50 pm

Thanks for the advice theshedman, I will certainly do as you've recommended.

JRS
Ganger
Ganger

by JRS » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:19 pm

Dont see need to sugar soap a wall unless washing off paste. Should only need a light sand to de nib and bumps and nibs. Matt should take to matt without any issues.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:07 pm