Rising and/or Penetrating Damp? - Suggestions on the Best Way to Cure
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Thomas_P
Labourer
Labourer

Rising and/or Penetrating Damp? - Suggestions on the Best Way to Cure

by Thomas_P » Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:30 pm

Hi

I'm renovating an old terraced house that is suffering quite badly from what I think is rising damp.......although it is possibly penetrating damp too? There is no DPC.

There are two areas in particular that are suffering; this being under the window on the front wall and in the corner (next to party wall) on the back wall. The damp appears to start at floor level and stops at a height of approx. 2-3 ft; it is so bad on the front wall that the plaster isn't even stuck to the wall anymore.....it's just holding on to plaster in the surrounding area where it is not quite as damp!

Also, the floor is quarry tile (on ash I think?) and there is definitely damp comes through the floor. There was a carpet down that had had something on top of it for a long while and it had gone mouldy and rotten in that area.

I want to sort out the damp without damaging or losing the original quarry tiles. Also, I've read that it is best to let old buildings breath as much as possible, so I'm a little concerned about what is best to use?

If anybody has any good suggestions, I'd really appreciate your input?

I was thinking perhaps -

1. Damp-proofing cream injection to walls
2. Lime plaster on the walls with a breathable paint finish
3. Insulation board on entre floor area - damp-proof membrane laid on insulation board and lapped up wall higher than finished floor level - chipboard (glue at joints) laid on membrane - desired flooring (probably laminate or floorboard) laid on chipboard
4. Skirting around room to cover membrane lapped up wall
5. Possibly gravel outside up to exterior walls - leaving sloped earth directly next to walls to encourage water to run away from house to deeper level of gravel and earth

Does anybody agree with my ideas? Also, if I was to do the floor as described at 3. above, should I batten the floor first to leave a little space underneath the insulation to allow the existing floor to breath?

Thanks in advance! :o)

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Rising and/or Penetrating Damp? - Suggestions on the Best Way to Cure

by welsh brickie » Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:01 pm

dpc chemical injection is ok, the floor is something else, a damp proof membrane plus board and insulation will increase the floor height, that the bottom stair height will be a problem, and it will sweat.
have you considered asphalt, it is poured hot is completely waterproof and is only 30mm, it will be level and dry to lay any finished floor material

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Feb 18, 2024 8:50 pm