Roof questions...
Information, help and tips on many areas of roofing including trusses, tiling, venting, insulation etc....

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
shaunnuahs
Labourer
Labourer

Roof questions...

by shaunnuahs » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:48 am

What is the concerte that is on the outside edges below the roof tiles called or what is its term?

When fitting new facia's should this concrete that is about 4 inces in depth going under the tile be removed and replaced with new stuff(its 35 years old) ??

Do you use 3-1 mortar or put sealant stuff in it?

If you replace it is it best to protect by putting those plastic covers you can get over it having replaced it?

Thanks Shaun.

youasked
Tradesman
Tradesman

Verge in on roofline.

by youasked » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:35 am

The pointing at the roof edge is a part of the 'Dry verge' which is the aspestos strip under the edge that lies on top of the bricks to stop wet getting into the brickwork. This only needs pointing if loose and falling out. Removing it will only disturbe the edge tiles and youi will probably find the *battern ends rotten. (*Houses over 30yrs)

If plastic 'dry verge' caps put on correctly, the first two tiles are removed up the whole side, new battern ends added, membrane and then the caps. Most companies however only glue, nail or screw the caps to the existing concrete and a quick cosmetic fix. Prices range from £5 to £15 per cap if a company does them. Aveage 5mtr roof side = 15-16 caps. Not really a DIY job as the ridge can be 9-12 mtrs above ground and most domestic laddders will not reach. I have seen roof battern (2x1 treated), attached along the whole length of the verge, and caps simply screwed to that, though they did not overlap the tiles fully, they were very secure.

Good Luck

fastforward
Labourer
Labourer

by fastforward » Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:24 am

Hi every one.
I want know from any person that what should do or what type of roofing material I should use which give me all season help. Like, it will give heat in winters and cool rooms in summers. Also it protect my house from rain water and resist the force of water for many years.

TheDoctor4
Project Manager
Project Manager

Local help at hand!

by TheDoctor4 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:38 pm

Find trusted, insured and vetted tradesman local to your area. Visit the DIY Doctor Find a Tradesman page: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/find_tradesmen/

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:58 pm