Room thermostat
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Herro
Labourer
Labourer

Room thermostat

by Herro » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:20 pm

Since room thermostat (in hall) was replaced some years ago the house does not get hot. Now we had two cold winters it is very obvious.

Thermostat has been set at 30 degrees to see if it would warm up, left on for 2 weeks continuously. Only made 20 degrees. Electrician brought new thermostat, had trouble installing, said it was faulty and put back the old one. Never returned.

Gas man said it was fault of a radiator in the hall, and removed the TVR from that. This was doubtful 'cos the TVR was always there when house was hot in past. Made no difference!

Seems likely a faulty thermostat was put in some years ago, or somehow the wiring is wrong, because it is not calling for heat when set at 30 degrees. None of these "experts" seem to know and certainly they won't fix it. House is freezing.

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:44 pm

How far is the stat from the radiator ?

You could link the stat out, run the heating and see if the temp of the house improves.

htg

Herro
Labourer
Labourer

by Herro » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:26 pm

Rad is about 5 metres from thermostat - it is a large square hallway and they are at opposite ends. It has not moved from where it was originally when the house used to heat up.

I don't know what you mean by "link the stat out" - it appears not to be operating anyway, I have gravity feed system and the boiler stat (inside the boiler) is on 4 (max) which according to the paperwork means the water will get to about 82 degrees. I think this is the only thing calling for heat, because the boiler runs for about 10-15 mins, goes off, and repeats, during the evenings - which may be because of loss of water temp from rads around the house??? because it seems to me that if the thermostat is controlling the boiler, and it is set at 30 but only makes 20 (because of draughts or whatever) then the boiler would be running continuously trying to reach 30 wouldn't it??? or have I got it all wrong?

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1