RSJs
Questions answered and solutions provided on many aspects of steel framed buildings and structures

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Lewist
Labourer
Labourer

RSJs

by Lewist » Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:23 pm

Hello. I am using an RSJ covering a span of about 8 foot in my basement which supports a supporting wall above. I am going to be running floor joists into both sides of the L shape of the RSJ to support the floor above. The RSJ will be supported in brick work at one end and resting on the top of a vertical RSJ at the other. Do we need to bolt the vertical and horizontal RSJs together or will it be OK resting on top? If you need to bolt them what do you use to drill through an RSJ. What are your thoughtd on it all. I hope you can help. Tim Lewis

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:29 pm

Hi Lewist,
Have you had any structual calculations done and have they been approved by building regs, because they should have gave you the information that you need to carry out this project. I'd suspect that you'd need to either bolt it or weld them. But get an expert on board!
Best of luck
KB

Lewist
Labourer
Labourer

by Lewist » Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:50 am

Thanks good advice. Just have to track one down. Tim

Snidger
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Snidger » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:17 pm

yes the horizontal beam should be bolted to the vertical steel column with a bracket, the vertical steel column will need a foot plate to spread the weight so as not to sink into the concrete etc.. and it will definitely need to have fire protection with either intumescent paint or fireline plasterboard. If you go for the fireline option you can stick/glue 2 "skins" of 15mm board to the column, with the beam (I presume I steel) cut wooden noggins to knock into the web of the steel (tight) and nail or screw the boards to that and glue the boards again to the bottom (soffit) and prop up until dry.

Your probably thinking steel is very strong....... well it is! but its also soft ... you would be suprised how easy it is to drill into with a hss drill bit (slowly)
We fire pulsa nails and hilti nails into steel everyday at work to tack metal strips to beams and colums, try shooting one into a cast iron beam or column in an old mill being converted to flats and the nail will bounce off and fire around the room and thats because steel is durable and cast iron is brittle... (such fun firing your first nail at cast iron) :lol: a bit late with my response but may be helful to other readers

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:24 am