Sealing a Wall Cavity
Brickwork, drystone walling, render are a few subjects covered here. Click here to post questions and get answers

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
arthur.leat
Labourer
Labourer

Sealing a Wall Cavity

Post by arthur.leat » Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:02 pm

I have to lay a sheet floor covering in my kitchen. At the external door next to the door sill a 2" width of the wall cavity which needs to be sealed is showing. The sill partly overhangs the cavity and the inner wall skin has been covered by the floor screed laid to receive the covering. I thought of bridging the cavity with a cement fibre sheet like the ones used to bridge cavities at roof gables., and this, of course, would need to be set flush with the screed. Because of the sill overhang it is not possible to drive in timber wedges which could support a cement fibre strip. Can anyone suggest a solution?

I also considered using expanding foam, but, knowing that this can be a messy job and concerned that it might disfigure the plastic sill, decided against it

tim reeve
Tradesman
Tradesman

Post by tim reeve » Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:49 pm

If you use a foam gun you can control the foam more easily or you could use a product called a cavity closure sometimes called dacatie a hard thin plastic that covers the cavity, hope this helps you.

TheDoctor5

Post by TheDoctor5 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:56 pm

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:33 pm