Secondary underfloor heating
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

kathode
Labourer
Labourer

Secondary underfloor heating

by kathode » Thu May 08, 2008 10:06 am

I have a kitchen and bathroom renovation project in the extension of my Victorian home and have gutted the rooms and fully insulated the walls and ceiling up to the regs. Now I am concerned about heating. I will have a new gas boiler and radiators throughout the house, but am also wondering if I should put in electric underfloor heating to supplement this in the extension, also with the view that in a few years time I will do a new roof and add a solar water heater, and during some parts of the year, will be able to heat up the extension only using underfoor heating, for just a bit in the morning. The extension of the house is obviously exposed, but south west facing and it is quite warm during the day. In fact the house will be very well insulated and the new insulation and double glazing has made an instant difference.
1. Is adding underfloor heating over the top? The bathroom will have slate tiles which are quite cold.
2. What type of underfloor heating is best as a secondary heat source? The type that heats up to only 25 C or the wire type that heats up to hotter temps?
3. Is electric underfloor heating energy efficient?
Thanks for the info.