Secret Basement Found!!!
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

funkt
Labourer
Labourer

Secret Basement Found!!!

by funkt » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:07 pm

Hello,

I live in a ground and first floor maisonette in a Victorian conversion in North London.

After buying the property in December and beginning renovations I found stairs underneath the floorboards in our ground floor bathroom leading to a basement space which appears to have been the original coal bunker.

I would obviously like to utilise this space - firstly for storage but with an idea to perhaps to convert to a usable room in the future (once I have sufficient funds).

I foresee a number of problems:

- The basement space is not on the deeds or plans so what legal action should I take and would I need this included in the deeds if I am just reinstating existing stairs to create storage space?

- The basement space stretches beyond the current boundary listed in the deeds (see image) and underneath a communal area shared by the rest of the freeholders.

I would like to know what legal issues I may have with ownership before I declare this found space and begin any work.

Please see plan below which shows basement area in green and current boundary in red. We share freehold.

(Google "diynot.com/network/funkt/albums/5922/23870")

Huge thanks!
Lee[/img]