Self Drilling Plugs Problem Screws Will Not Tighten
General problems, solutions, information and advice on fixing to walls of all kinds

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Hopeless@DIY
Labourer
Labourer

Self Drilling Plugs Problem Screws Will Not Tighten

by Hopeless@DIY » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:51 pm

Hi. New to this site, new user. I live in a modern house with the usual paperthin walls. Interior walls are, I think, plasterboard. I've used metal self drilling plugs before with success, however I've just tried to put up a towel rail on an internal wall and whilst the self drilling plugs have gone in all the way, the screws will not tighten all the way and are sticking about 2cm proud of the plug, and now the plug is simply spinning in the hole. If I remove the plugs I'll be left with enormous holes but I don't see any alternative. All 4 screws are doing the same. I can't affix to batten behind plasterboard, there isn't any on this particular wall (it's small!). If I remove them, what's the best way to fill the holes and how should I affix the screws? I'm so frustrated!!! Thanks in advance.

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Self Drilling Plugs Problem Screws Will Not Tighten

by welsh brickie » Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:09 pm

buy a tube of gripfill or hard as nails, fill the holes and insert the plugs, leave to set for 24 hours then use.I also think the screws your using may be too long

Hopeless@DIY
Labourer
Labourer

by Hopeless@DIY » Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:19 pm

Thanks, so you think take them out, fill big holes with grip fill, reinsert, leave to dry, and check screw length before re-screwing? Just to make sure I've got that clear! I'll go on the hunt for gripfill. Thanks.

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by welsh brickie » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:41 pm

yes

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2024 5:33 am