Self Levelling compound - Where do I start
Help, advice, information, answers and tips on all types of flooring from laminate and carpet to timber and vinyl

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
mcooks71
Labourer
Labourer

Self Levelling compound - Where do I start

Post by mcooks71 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:21 pm

Have taken up tiled from the kitchen floor & have a fitter booked to lay a new vinyl floor in 2 weeks time.

The floor needs to be levelled as there are some remnants of the adhesive from the old tiles - Fitter has quoted £160 to put a self levelling latex compound down (room is approx 18sqm)

People tell me this should be reasonably straight forward "its just a case of throwing it down" and the charge seems a little high.

anyone out there got any useful tips on where to start here ??

Cheers

Did it myself
Tradesman
Tradesman

Post by Did it myself » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:08 am

I'm sure others will tell you different, but I had a go at this in my old house and ended up having to pay someone to come and put it right in the end. Don't be put off having a bash, but if you're doing it yourself purely to save money, then factor in the cost of it possibly going wrong and still having to pay at least £160 to fix it.

Good luck!

p.s. my floor didn't set properly.... no idea what I did wrong, but will leave this one to the professionals next time :cry:

harry69
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by harry69 » Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:57 pm

as a floorlayer myself, i can tell you that if he is using a 2 part latex smoothing compound (its not self leveling). and supplying it too, the price is not that bad..
In the trade we call it a bag and a bottle and its about £15 for them. He would need around 4-5 (2 part units) to cover the area at a 3mm depth.
Plus his labor charge..
It should take him a couple of hours at the very most..
We use a trowel to spread it evenly over the floor then a spiked screed roller to aerate the compound and allow it to be as smooth and level and as close to a sheet of glass as possible...

I hope this helps..anything you need to know just shout...

TheDoctor5

Post by TheDoctor5 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:06 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:30 am