Self Levelling compound - Where do I start

Postby mcooks71 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:21 pm

Have taken up tiled from the kitchen floor & have a fitter booked to lay a new vinyl floor in 2 weeks time.

The floor needs to be levelled as there are some remnants of the adhesive from the old tiles - Fitter has quoted £160 to put a self levelling latex compound down (room is approx 18sqm)

People tell me this should be reasonably straight forward "its just a case of throwing it down" and the charge seems a little high.

anyone out there got any useful tips on where to start here ??

Progress to next rank:

Simply Build It

Postby Did it myself » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:08 am

I'm sure others will tell you different, but I had a go at this in my old house and ended up having to pay someone to come and put it right in the end. Don't be put off having a bash, but if you're doing it yourself purely to save money, then factor in the cost of it possibly going wrong and still having to pay at least £160 to fix it.

Good luck!

p.s. my floor didn't set properly.... no idea what I did wrong, but will leave this one to the professionals next time :cry:
Did it myself
Progress to next rank:

Postby harry69 » Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:57 pm

as a floorlayer myself, i can tell you that if he is using a 2 part latex smoothing compound (its not self leveling). and supplying it too, the price is not that bad..
In the trade we call it a bag and a bottle and its about £15 for them. He would need around 4-5 (2 part units) to cover the area at a 3mm depth.
Plus his labor charge..
It should take him a couple of hours at the very most..
We use a trowel to spread it evenly over the floor then a spiked screed roller to aerate the compound and allow it to be as smooth and level and as close to a sheet of glass as possible...

I hope this helps..anything you need to know just shout...
Progress to next rank:

Postby TheDoctor5 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:06 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides

• DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!