Servowarm Elite 50 boiler
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
lauraswift
Labourer
Labourer

Servowarm Elite 50 boiler

by lauraswift » Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:50 pm

I have a servowarm elite 50 boiler in my house, it's on the wall of my kitchen extension, don't know how old it is but must be ancient!
On Thursday there was a lot of heavy rain and when I went into the kitchen water was pouring through my boiler. The water was coming in through the flue outside because my gutters were overflowing. I rang my insurance who said I wasn't covered for the gutter repairs but may be covered for any damage to my boiler.
Basically, the water has poured through and the pilot light has gone out and won't relight, and water was dripping off all the wiring which worried me. I bravely tried to turn it back on once dried out but it won't light and the timer switch is knackered. Will my insurance cover me to get a new boiler or will this one be repaired? A plumber I know said it is that old that it would cost loads to repair and a new one would be a better idea, but obviously I can't afford a new one and don't know what my insurance will say, any ideas?

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:59 am

The only people that know the answer to your question is you insurance company. Firstly read your insurance policy, read all terms and conditions and summary to see what is and isn't covered.

Contact them, let them know what the problem is and see what they advise. They have already said they wont cover the cost of the guttering but you may be covered for the damage to the boiler.

As boilers get older and the spare parts become harder to get hold of - the spare part prices rise dramatically. It may be that it is cheaper to replace the boiler, than it is to repair.

You'll have to do what your insurance company says but, you could get an engineer out for an estimate to repair the boiler. You can let the insurance company know this figure and let them decide what to do.

But like all insurance companies they'll take the cheapest route - if it can be repaired, that is what they'll do.

htg

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:48 pm