shed power
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
ceabhail
Labourer
Labourer

shed power

by ceabhail » Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:58 pm

I would llike to run power to my childrens shed for a light and a sockett for a heater.At present there is power in the garagecoming from 2.5mm cable whichappears to come from the downstairs sockets,this runs into a consumer unit with RCD and 2 mcb's.Can I run another cablefrom this consumer unitto the shed into a switch box with 2 MCB'susing 2.5mm cable or do I need to run a totally separte supplyfrom the main consumer unitin the house with armoured cable.

please help

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:58 am

Hi ceabhail,
This project comes under Part P of the buildings regs and legally needs to comply. You need quailfied part p electrician, See Docs projects on Part P.
Best Luck and Regards
KB

333rocky333
Ganger
Ganger

by 333rocky333 » Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:18 pm

Because of the nature of the work ,the work will need to conform to part p of the building regs.
If you are diy you will need to notify building control before you start and then get checked after,which will cost you, if you dont know the relevent regs and do it wrong you will have to redo it, it would then proberly have been easier to get a part p elect in the first place, who can do the work straight away and let him worry about the paperwork.
It is your choice.
If you get an elect make sure that he will give you relevant paperwork.

ericmark

by ericmark » Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:00 am

Looking at cable size I would expect no you can't. Sorry to say this but 2.5mm can normally only power two sockets. As the other have said Part P does require a load of paper work and testing and at about £700 for the test gear it would be cheaper to get someone in than DIY. I theory do can still do DIY but in real terms the only people who could both do the job and correctly fill in and submit the paper work are electricians.

ceabhail
Labourer
Labourer

by ceabhail » Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:38 pm

Thanks for the advice .
Regards

Ceabhail

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:24 am