Shiplack cladding to block wall
Re-generate an old or tired space and give it a fresh breath of life. Click here for answers, information and tips

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Boothy
Apprentice
Apprentice

Shiplack cladding to block wall

by Boothy » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:56 am

Hi,

I am doing a barn conversion at the moment. One wall at the rear of my property is made of solid 9" cavity block work. Rather than just render this area, which would not look right,I want to install a wood cladding, which is then stained to match the windows and doors. The existing concrete wall does have a rough coat of render already on it, but its not that tidy.

My question is how to fix wood cladding the block walls. Option 1 would be to put some verticle battons up every 400, which are fixed firmly to the block work, to carry the new cladding. The problem with this is that the thickness of the batton and the cladding would be at leat 45mm thick, so I would have a problem tucking it under the fasciaboard,which would result in water ingress from guttering.

Option 2 would be instead of using a batton, use a piece of cladding fixed verticle every 400mm as is thinner meaning 24mm. Has anyone ever cladded over brick or block and does anyone have any advise on the best way to do this?

Was thinking of using concrete screws but dont fancy wood touching the concrete all over, over time this could rot the wood from underneath.

Thank you

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Shiplack cladding to block wall

by welsh brickie » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:26 pm

use treated roof battens 50mm x 25mm thick.Cut the render out so the batten is buried.

Boothy
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Boothy » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:02 am

Thanks fo your quick responce, did not think of that. Would you recommend putting dpc inbetween the batton and the wall so the wood stays dry?

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by welsh brickie » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:11 pm

no so long as there is a small gap to allow airflow between the batten and cladding ther should be no problem

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:08 pm