Shower pump leaking from push fit
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

armytouch
Ganger
Ganger

Shower pump leaking from push fit

by armytouch » Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:11 pm

Hi,hope you can give me some advice,i have fitted a shower pump,ingoing pipes hot 22mm cold 15mm both pushfit these are connected to 15mm screw connections on pump,then outgoing 15mm screw connections to 15mm cold,22mm hot pushfit to taps,there are no problems at all until the pump is activated then getting leaks from both 22mm pushfit ends,i take it caused by the vibrations from the pump,is there anyway to stop this,i know the incoming pipe is unsecure could this cause the leak also is there anyway to secure the pump, or is there anyway of sealing pushfit ends from stopping it leaking,thanks

bobbych
Apprentice
Apprentice

by bobbych » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:49 am

It is unlikely taht the pump vibrations have caused the leaks. most likey be bad joints. how did u cut the pipe? have u used pipe inserts?

armytouch
Ganger
Ganger

thanks

by armytouch » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:19 pm

Pipes where cut with pipe cutter then cleaned, no inserts used just 22mm pipe onto 22mm push fit,no leaks at all until pump actually activated thats why throught it vibrations from pump.Will inserts make a difference?
thanks for your help

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:54 am

pipe inserts are necessary if plastic pipe is used - whether push fit or compression fittings are used.

they are not necessary for use on copper pipe. if you have used plastic pipe with no inserts then you can be fairly sure that that is the cause of your leak.

armytouch
Ganger
Ganger

inserts

by armytouch » Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:18 pm

Hi thanks again,i have copper pipes connected to shower pump flexi pipe which has pushfit ends,not plastic pipework,will i need inserts? thanks

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:04 pm

you do not need inserts for copper pipe.

miniand
Labourer
Labourer

o rings

by miniand » Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:23 pm

all push fit fittings rely on o rings. these always have a light coating of silicon grease. you could try adding more, depending on what pipe cutter you have been using you can sometimes end up with an oval end to the pipe especially if you trim near the end. check for gouges on o rings or pipe surfaces

armytouch
Ganger
Ganger

thanks

by armytouch » Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:48 pm

Hi thanks, if it was the o-rings then wouldnt it leak when pump not on,thats why think its the vibration from the pipe thats causing it,cheers i am going to fasten/secure both pump and pipe down hopefully that will sort it,thanks again

armytouch
Ganger
Ganger

tried again still no good?

by armytouch » Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:17 pm

Hi well back to the leaking shower pump,purchased a new salamanda pump from screwfix,installed it and found it was leaking when switched on,was told it was the connections however when i checked couldnt find any leaks,thought maybe it was vibration of pump causing connections to leak or sealant round bath. I fastened pump and pipework down put a new seal round bath tested it all seemed ok, but theres water now appearing underneath pump, pipe connections and seal seem ok. New pump where could this water be coming from ????
Off to screwfix to change it, can anyone think of any reason why a new pump would leak ??????

baz1418
Labourer
Labourer

by baz1418 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:46 pm

may sound a bit daft but have you tightened the ends of the push fits

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:14 pm

Be careful how you fix the pump down. You need plenty of rubber otherwise vibration will be transferred to the floor or whatever, and the pump will be heard all over the house.

Odd to hear pushfit's are leaking like this. Maybe there is strain on the pipes and it is causing movement (not just vibration) whilst the pump runs. You may have to (if it is not already like this) move the pipes so the flexis are totally straight in line with the 22mm copper.

armytouch
Ganger
Ganger

replacement still leaking

by armytouch » Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:36 pm

Hi,we exchanged shower pump that was fitted details above,installed it and this one leaking in exactly same place not from any connections from motor itself,how is this leaking?

armytouch
Ganger
Ganger

return valve

by armytouch » Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:04 am

Hi, what would happen if a hot water return valve was not used on a pump attached to a mixer tap shower ? thanks

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:40 am

armytouch,
You are beginning to loose me in the diversity of the information.
Is the pump leaking from the connections on the pump or the connections to the copper pipe or from the pump body itself.
Is this a shower pump supplying water to single taps?
end

armytouch
Ganger
Ganger

we all confused

by armytouch » Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:05 pm

Hi thanks for your response,this matter with the pump as been going on for quite a while,firstly we thought it was the push connections to copper pipes leading into pump and into taps that where leaking, then the connections on the pump itself,but then noticed it was dripping from the pump intself,we changed the pump but it started again from the same place in the pump,not sure exactly where in the pump but dripping from underneath near where the gap is between the pipe connection and the main body of the pump on the cold water side.

It is currently Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:08 pm