shower too hot HELP!!
Help, advice and problem solutions on all aspects of home appliances from washing machines to TV's

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
nailedit!
Apprentice
Apprentice

shower too hot HELP!!

by nailedit! » Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:55 pm

Didn't quite know if this was the right place to post this, but here goes:

I have a 3 year old Triton Jade 8.5kW shower which has suddenly started to spray only very hot water. Shower head is descaled, hose is fine, and flow is normal, as is water pressure.

We tried:
turning the controls to cool, then cold - no change wherever they are set

Then read the manual which advised:

1. Check if stop taps are fully open - I presume these are between the water tank in the loft and the shower - if so they must be since nobody goes into our loft (we don't like spiders!), and the water flow is good.

2. Check if inlet filter is blocked - have read manual and can find no reference to inlet filter, but assume if water flow good it cannot be blocked.

I don't know much about plumbing or electrics, so can anybody advsie please?

Steve the gas
Site Agent
Site Agent

by Steve the gas » Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:54 am

Hi,

I would guess the thermostat is Kaput, see if you can get any info off the manufacturer, and move on from there.

Hth

nailedit!
Apprentice
Apprentice

? Thermostat kaput

by nailedit! » Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:40 pm

Thanx for that Steve, but is the thermostat the same thing as theheating element? It might be a daft ? but the key to main parts in the manual doesn't mention a thermostat at all. I understood the element works at a constant temperature, and it's the rate of flow that determines water temperature

wabbitpoo
Apprentice
Apprentice

by wabbitpoo » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:27 am

In my experience (as a user, not a plumber!) it indicates your electric shower is broken. They are not worth trying to repair, given the costs involved.

Just my opinion.

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:44 pm

The temperature of water from electric showers is controlled simply by altering the cold water flow rate. There is no variable electrical control (other than an overheat safety cutout) fitted so if your shower is getting too hot, it must be suffering from a reduced flow.

There is a wire filter fitted to all Triton showers but it is only accessible by removing the shower from the wall. The strainer is situated in the short white pipe at the point where the shower unit is connected to the house plumbing.

You may also have to consider that the heater itself is clogged with limescale and consequently restricting flow of water.

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:56 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:16 am