SKIM OR PAPER
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
suango
Labourer
Labourer

SKIM OR PAPER

by suango » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:08 pm

I have had two opinions regarding the painting of a previously papered wall.

The stripping of this paper has left the wall in a mess, and asking two people what to do for the best before painting has resulted in two different views

So - do I get someone in to skim or paper?

Also - how much should skimming one wall cpst?

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:15 pm

"The stripping of this paper has left the wall in a mess,"

How much of a mess?

"and asking two people what to do for the best before painting has resulted in two different views"

Inevitable.

"So - do I get someone in to skim or paper?"

Don't know - can't see it How much of a mess? If the top coat of plaster has just popped off in a few places because the steam stripper was left on for too long then just use some plaster skim from a tub, overfill and sand back flush and you'll never know it was there and can probably paint over it.

If its larger areas then possibly treatable in the same way but then I'd contempate lining paper before painting. Minimum 1000 grade - probably 1200.

"Also - how much should skimming one wall cpst?"

How big is the wall?

Cheers

suango
Labourer
Labourer

THE ANSWERS

by suango » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:51 am

[quote="rosebery"]"The stripping of this paper has left the wall in a mess,"

Thanks so much for this"

How much of a mess?

"All over mess. It is a mixture of my lack of DIY skills and the original cheap build of my flat where the original paintwork has come away with the paper over most of the wall"

"and asking two people what to do for the best before painting has resulted in two different views"

Inevitable.

"does that mean it is the tip of the iceberg lol?

"So - do I get someone in to skim or paper?"

Don't know - can't see it How much of a mess? If the top coat of plaster has just popped off in a few places because the steam stripper was left on for too long then just use some plaster skim from a tub, overfill and sand back flush and you'll never know it was there and can probably paint over it.

If its larger areas then possibly treatable in the same way but then I'd contempate lining paper before painting. Minimum 1000 grade - probably 1200.
" I take it that 1200 is the better"

"Also - how much should skimming one wall cpst?"

How big is the wall?

"12 foot by 8 high"

Cheers[/quote][i]

Thanks again
[/i]

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:49 pm