slightly cracked paint on interior Newbuild property
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
jbleisure
Labourer
Labourer

slightly cracked paint on interior Newbuild property

by jbleisure » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:22 pm

We moved in a month ago. The house is 6 years old I've painted some rooms which have all been ok - However in the hallway/stairwell and upper hallway the paint on some walls is very slightly cracked, not peeling at all but clearly cracked.
Also it seems that the cracked paint is only on those walls which are plaster boarded i.e not an any on the brick walls - I'm not sure if that is significant in any way, and obviously I have no idea how many coats of paint walls were given or if primer was used. I would have thought so, but it does look like this is the original paint colour from when the house was first built.

Would it be enough just to clean these walls or give them a very light sanding before I cover them with a fresh coat of paint?

kekec
Apprentice
Apprentice

by kekec » Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:25 pm

Won't be enough, use old screwdriver to enlarge the crack, vacuum it or use dry brush to remove dust, than use wet brush to moisten with water and finnaly add some flexible filler - check the projects pages.,lots of advice. Once dry sand and paint over. Cracks are probably because of movement of wooden stucture holding plasterboards, or have you checked for any service (water, gas) pipes behing the boards. If lots of cracks use basecoat and than paint over.

jbleisure
Labourer
Labourer

by jbleisure » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:06 am

I think you must have misunderstood, the wall is not cracked but the paint is very finely cracked like a riverbed would be after a drought except it only goes as deep as a layer of paint ie 0.1mm. I'll take a photo and post a link to it .

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:48 am