All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
ollie7743
Labourer
Labourer

Slow hot water in bathroom with new taps

by ollie7743 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:26 pm

Hi

I have just fitted a new mono bloc mixer in the sink and a new mixer in the bath and the hot pressure is a lot lower than it was with the old taps. There is a 22mm hot feed into the bath and a 15mm feed to the sink. I have used flexible tails to connect to the tap. They are both 1/4 turn ceramic taps. I have got a gravity fed, electrically heated hot water tank.

Help please!!!!!![/list]

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:38 pm

dunkley01
Labourer
Labourer

Slow hot water

by dunkley01 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:11 am

Ollie
I assume your cold feed is mains pressure as you report slow hot feed only.

I would guess the problem is with your flexy connections. Standard flexys are only 10mm bore, regardless of the size of end fittings. This does tend to restrict flow somewhat! You can get larger bore 13mm, which is an improvement. Another problem can be with monobloc mixers, most of which have 12mm connections at the end of 15mm tails. If you have mains cold feed, with mixers, you should fit check valves to prevent possible back flow contaminating the mains water. (See water regs) Also check the spec of your new tap fittings - a minimum 'head' should be specified. Does this exceed your available head?

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:41 pm

"and the hot pressure is a lot lower than it was with the old taps"

Your pressure hasn't changed. Your flow rate has - downwards.

"They are both 1/4 turn ceramic taps"

Thats the root cause although the other restrictions already described both here and in the other thread don't help one iota. Change them or pump supplies.

Cheers

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:11 am