Soakaway for Washing machine
Drainage pipes, concrete, footings and foundations. Post your questions and find answers here

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
*aew*
Labourer
Labourer

Soakaway for Washing machine

by *aew* » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:09 pm

Hi

We recently have had builders in to install a new kitchen and put the washing machine in the garage the quote stated that they would insert a gulley trenched back to the manhole, break through the manhole side and make good after pipework laid. Back fill and level for gulley to accept new waste. excavate as necessary, connect to excisting waste outlet and make good. They did build a trench but then said they couldnt connect to the manhole so they have put the washing machine waste to the soakaway. my dad says this is not right. Could someone please help with some advice? Should I contact the local council and whose responsibility is it to know about this?

Many thanks

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

soakaway

by welsh brickie » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:10 am

your fathers right there are 2 classifications of water

1 surface water (rain)

2 Foul (waste from toilets,kitchen sink,washing machines,hand basins)

Waste from (foul) contain chemicals that are enviromental hazards
call them back and insist they correct the work,if they dont report them to the local council

Kenj
Ganger
Ganger

by Kenj » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:45 am

A washing machine should not dsicharge into a soakaway. Soakaways are for rainwater, not household waste.

It is certainly worth informing the Council's Building Dept, but they may only confirm that your builder is breaching regulations. The Trading Standards dept may be able to help you more.

In essence your builder has not delivered what he said he would do. You are therefore entitled to refuse to pay him if you have not already done so. Alternatively you could sue him for the cost of having the job finished properly. The Small Claims court is not expensive and you do not need to hire a solicitor. However, getting the money out of a cowboy may be more difficult than winning your case.

Good Luck!

*aew*
Labourer
Labourer

by *aew* » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:10 pm

Many thanks for confirming my thoughts. We have just had a catalogue of disasters with this builder and I am so tired from having to ask to get things sorted properly. I have a feeling he won't want to make amends here - so much for trying to give local builders work!!

Ty for your advice

Amanda

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:46 am