Soundproofing DIY Project and Insulation due to Noisy Neighbours
Questions and answers on many aspects of soundproofing areas of your home

soundman111
Labourer
Labourer

Soundproofing DIY Project and Insulation due to Noisy Neighbours

by soundman111 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:33 pm

Hello Folks,

I am beginning my insulation against my noisy neighbors, i feel happier that i am doing something about the noise. I have spoke to them many times, but some people are just unreasonable.

I am insulating the loft to begin with, this includes mineral wool acoustic insulation, this is lightweight and will go directly onto the floor of the loft. The loft floor is very weak and is just plasterboard, like most lofts if you was to stand on the floor you would come through the ceiling.

I am also going to install a 5kg barrier mat and some acoustic slabs to stop alot of noise that enters our home through the loft. My only concern is should i lay the acoustic slabs and 5kg barrier mat across the beams and joists of the loft or onto the ceiling directly? I just do not want the ceiling cracking, although these materials are not that heavy i just wondered what would be the best way of installing this?

The mineral wool is very lightweight so this is fine directly onto the floor, do you think as a precaution put the barrier mat and acoustic slabs over the beams of the loft? 5kg is not that heavy and i just wondered on your thoughts please?

Thanks for all your help folks. Many thanks in advance.

Paul

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:58 am