Sovent Weld for PVC Cladding in Shower

Postby milkytea » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:29 pm

Hi everyone,
I am preparing to fit PVC cladding boards to 3 walls of a shower. They are 250mm wide boards which fit together with a tongue and groove type joint. They are a material similar to Correx but thicker and with a decorative face. I have been told to run a bead of silicone along the joint to form a seal, but it occurred to me that Solvent Weld might give a really permanent seal, effectively creating a single sheet. Has anyone tried this? I think it could work really well!
milkytea
Progress to next rank:
25%

Sponsor

Gorilla Glue heavy duty grab adhesive

Postby milkytea » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:57 pm

So I just tried this and it works really well. I got best results by applying a liberal amount to the back flap of the joint and the back part of the groove, and to the corresponding surfaces on the tongue. Sliding them against each other a little helped to spread the compound in the joint. I think I will use this method to make up panels on a flat surface before gluing them to the walls.
milkytea
Progress to next rank:
25%

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides

• DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!