SPARX & BLAKEY! Help with wiring regs/part p!
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

SPARX & BLAKEY! Help with wiring regs/part p!

by kbrownie » Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:23 pm

Hi everyone, especially Sparx & Blakey and complete respect to anyone else.
This is not really a diy related question or maybe it is?
After some top class advise.
Soon going to be taking my wiring regs, ideally I want the part p qualification too. Is it advisable to do these at the same time or do I need to have regs first. Been given conficting information and could I be assessed as a self employed person or do I need to supervised and which controlling body best to be registered with?
Thanks all in advance for any input.
KB

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:20 pm

HI, KB,
First thing is what is a 'part-p qualification?'
If you achieve nvq lvl 3 status which is normal min. qual. for electricians full approved status then you need to show some work with test sheets to match to whichever body you choose to register with, it doesn't have to be 'notifyable work'.
As long as you also have a knowledge of bldg. regs, parts L,M,P. in order to answer questions from visiting inspector from awarding body when turns up for your assessment all will be well.
I am an ECA member of many years BUT chose to join NAPIT's Part-P scheme as most of it's about testing and who better?
When you are nearly ready (like now!) ask various bodies for their 'pre-assessment' application form, they will give list of books, systems to be in place, instruments ect. which may include things you haven't yet considered such as 'complaints register', certain insurences, register of your own portable appliances, cal. certs. and a whole lot more,
good luck, SPARX

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:27 pm

Cheers SPARX,
Does it have to be NVQ Level 3 or will Level 3 Certificate be okay. I 'm doing my course work on an evening, used to be in the trade but not at moment, do the odd job with a mate of mine. But a change of circumstances a couple of years ago has made me have a re-think and now want to get back in to it. I have never been big fan of crash courses, can't believe that anyone can really "get it!" so quick. So slow methodical way for me. But wanted to know the right progression, like I said conficting infomation not only from persons in trade but the teachers at college too.
By the way Just bought MTF 1552 megger, is it the right tester to have? it seems to everything .
Thanks again for valued infomation.
KB

Kristof
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Kristof » Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:57 pm

Hi there, my first post on here and i don't mean to hijack the thread as i have a related question. I am having an inspector from governing body NAPIT some time next week and i'd really like to know what sort of questions roughly, will i be asked (it's killing me LOL) how long is the assessment and in regards to Complaits register, where can i buy or download the complait form or is it more than just a form? Thanx guys in advance, i think Sparx is already a member of Napit so reply is much appreciated!!!

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

by BLAKEY1963 » Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:33 am

KBROWNIE

SORRY ! not 2 have replied sooner .
i will leave my excellent colleauge in the field SPARX TO
reply to KRISTOF . he will tell him all about NAPPIT.

OKAY KBROWNIE.
SPARX HAS GIVEN SOUND ADVICE !
I would like to add about inspection and testing.
I had my assessement with NICEIC , AND got onto
thier DOMESTIC INSTALLER SCHEME .
for niceic was chosen as i do mostly domestic work and
niceic r chosen heavily in my work marketing area by
the customer , for some reason. also local authorites chose it as well.
BUT NAPPIT R GROWIN 2 down here so , u still have them
to consider.
The main thing is to gain competent person status in any of the schemes , and to do this u really need to be able to show how to
competently inspect and test an installation.
To be honest , which some might disagree with me here , but i personally think u need to have the 2391 inspection and testing qualification under
your belt. the sheme providers like to see it and if u have it , it gives u a head start with the assessors.
U WILL need 16 th edition BS7671 , BUT regs r changing in jan 2008.
it might be worth getting a 17th edition course and not wasting money on 16th. ask your sheme provider ( who u chose 2 go with ) what they want.
okay u have 2 be conversant with health and safety , electricity at work
regs , have public liability insurance , as sparx says your lists of books ,
but mainly the inspector will want u to be conversant and want u to make
that MTF 1552 MEGGER u have talk !
be able to do do full range of tests as laid down in BS 7671
be able to carry out initial verification of an installation ( P 171 AND 172 bs7671 ).
and be able to efficently , and correctly fill in test forms for the the type of electical job u r doing . LASTLY i also agree with sparx about part p qualification ! what is it ?GOOD LUCK on preparation , i am sure u will nail it KBROWNIE

BLAKEY1963

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:19 pm

Hi BLAKEY1963
Thanks for excellent infomation, I am priming myself for 17th editon have decided to hang back until they are in place then take them as advised. (downloaded sample drafts). Taking 2391 next year but it is in a lot of this years course work as I have an exam coming up, proving I can cable calculate and use correction factors, design, install and test. I am happy with that!
Been studying EAWR, I already have certs for electrical Health and safety and covering it again this year. Plus I have a qualication in health and safety supervison.
Ideally I am hoping when all exams are passed to start up on my own,
So as far as assessments are concerned where would I stand? and could I register with NAPPIT and NICEIC and if so is it worth doing?

kbrownie

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:29 pm