Split load CU
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
curley
Labourer
Labourer

Split load CU

Post by curley » Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:49 pm

Hi, I am new to this forum,

I have looked at past posts on this topic but I find no mention of what is protected on the split loads, am I correct to say the following?

Protection RCD side

Electric Shower
Bathroom/Shower room Lights
External Lights
External Sockets

No Protection MCB side

Cooker
Lighting Circuits
Socket ring mains
Immersion Heater
Extractor fans
House Alarm
Smoke Alarms

Kind regards Curley

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by sparx » Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:16 pm

Hi Curly, almost right except that all sockets 'likely to be used to power equipment out of doors' must be on RCD half of board. so usually downstairs sockets on Rcd half, or if not then rcd outlets should be at nearest each door.
However 17th edition regs say all sockets even on 5th floor of block of flats must be rcd protected.
If you ask as studying for 17th then effectively all circuits will need rcd protection as the options for not doing so are so difficult to achieve it ain't worth trying to avoid.
please reply with reason for post and will try to be more specific,
regards SPARX

curley
Labourer
Labourer

Split load CU

Post by curley » Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:48 pm

Hi Sparx, Thanks for prompt reply, my reason for the query is I am converting a Kent Oast in Hollingbourne near Maidstone ( just retired from the building game, this will be my home and final project!) . I am upto speed with most of the new part P requirements being a selfemployed builder and a forum of this type will put my mind at rest.
I have maybe a years work before completion, so I will be into the 17th edition regs when I am ready for the electrical installation test, so I will wire all sockets to the RCD side. I will invest in the new 17th edition guide, just checked on ebay there selling for over £50.....bread and dripping next week kids...

Thanks for your help Sparx, nice to know there will be an answer to a question!

Kind regards Curley

ericmark

Post by ericmark » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:50 pm

£50 for guide seems high and for 17th Edition seems low. But I would hang on a while you may find prices drop some makes of RCBO have already dropped to £12.5 each and I expect the first update will be out before you are finished. There is also the new cable Flexishield as yet no prices but you don't need RCD except for sockets if Flexishield is used. My local supplier did not know what it was? All too new delay as much as you can until things settle down a bit.

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by sparx » Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:39 pm

Hi Curley, good comment from ERIC ref. soon-to-be variations to regs.
Not far from me on Romney Marsh, did my apprenticeship in M'stone!
If you are going to register with LABC to do your own wiring then be aware you will have to conform to either 16th edition totally or 17th edition totally you can't mix & match, different test sheets, conflicting regs ect, best wishes for project,
SPARX

curley
Labourer
Labourer

split load cu

Post by curley » Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:03 am

Hi Eric - Sprax, sorry for the delay, just returned from a short trip.
Thanks for your comments, it's early days in the build at the moment a good month of underpinning before we can start the build.
I,m sure I we need your help in the future.
Thanks once again.......

Kind regards Curley

ericmark

Post by ericmark » Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:09 pm

A tip Curley follow the links to Part P in projects section and down load the PDF. It has some useful drawings as to how to wire and samples of the forms. I hate Part P but the document does give some useful tips. Also Hagar site on new way to use consumer units.
RCD v RCBO is heating up. And personal preference is the main consideration. RCBO's in the main are not double pole so neutral earth faults can cause problems but RCD's cover many circuits so again a fault in one circuit can effect another so no right and wrong just a load of grays.

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:13 pm