Staircase Restoration and Help With Discoloured Treads, Sanding and Filling Please!
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

Russell33
Labourer
Labourer

Staircase Restoration and Help With Discoloured Treads, Sanding and Filling Please!

by Russell33 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:45 am

Hi all

Hope you can help! I'm (trying to) restore my stair case. The plan is to stain the treads, newel posts and rail dark, and paint the risers white.

Have got as far as remving the carpet, hundreds of nails/staples, stripping the paint from the treads/risers etc, and have now started sanding some of the stairs back to bare wood.

Know I probably have a way to go, but I have a couple of questions/concerns:

- After a coarse sand, the centre of the stair is darker than the lighter edges (you can see in the picture below). Not sure which is the 'real' colour. Do I have to just keep sanding to even this up, or is there another way? Or will the stain even this up itself?

- Finally...I've got a range of either light/netural wood fillers. Will find a way to test the one I go with, but any hints/tips to make sure I get an even colour when staining?

Thanks so much in advance! So much work...just want it to turn out right.

Russell

IMG_2057.JPG

IMG_2054.JPG

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:06 pm