Stopping Cracks Reappearing on Walls after Decorating.
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
XPC465
Apprentice
Apprentice

Stopping Cracks Reappearing on Walls after Decorating.

by XPC465 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:20 pm

Hello to all you good forum members again.
My elderly neighbour, who has had serious health problems in the past, and is a single woman, has asked me my opinion on the following problem, which I would like your help with.
Her bungalow has walls which are constructed by the straw type build, which is then covered by plasterboard. She has recently had her bungalow decorated, but is very disappointed that several of the cracks, which had been covered, has reappeared. Can some kind person advise her, on how to stop this occurring, in this type of wall construction, if there is a way, and also on which type of wallpaper she should use to hide such cracks.
Having had a quick look at the problem, one or two cracks have reappeared, where the decorating had been done, and also cracks appear between the top of the wall and the ceiling.
Any advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated, in order to help my neighbour.
Many thanks to all who offer advice.

theshedman
Foreman
Foreman

by theshedman » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:19 am

Hi, cob walls should be treated like most others and cracks filled with polyfiller before painting. There will often be small cracks appearing. From what you say though the cob walls have been covered by plasterboard. If this is the case then the only places cracks should appear is on the joins of the boards which is usually a case of them not being taped or scrimmed properly when they were put up. You will always get cracks where the ceiling meets the walls. The best way to treat them is to use painters calk instead of polyfiller along the edge and that will help keep them from coming back so quickly, should stop it for a few years at least if done correctly. As for wallpapering. If the walls have been plasterboarded and plastered then paper them as you would any other wall. If they have not been plastered then I personally would not paper them as it will make it very difficult if you ever want to take the paper off in the future. Hope this helps and ask again if you need any further help.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:33 am