Stud work for converting garage
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

vallumlj
Labourer
Labourer

Stud work for converting garage

by vallumlj » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:00 am

I am thinking about converting half of our garage so I can use it as a office. We live in a new build house and the garage is attached to the side of the house and we have access to it from the conservatory.

I would like to do the job myself and have basic diy experience. The garage is breeze block both sides, our house one side and the other side is a neighbours garage. There is a single brick wall at the back. We already have electric in there.

I will keep the outside of the garage the same and divide the garage into 2 halfs. 80% office 20% storage.

I am planning on starting with the floor I was going to use 3x2 on a dpm and use polystrene for insulation. What size would i need 75mm ? Would Kingspan be better. I was then going to use chipboard on top.

The floor is 2.6m w and 3.6m d. I was going to use space the 3x2 out every 600mm.

Does that sound ok?

For the walls I was going to use 4x2 and use celotax for insulation. Do i need to use 100mm insulation as that will cost a bomb or could i use 75mm / 50mm and pack it out with something else? One wall is joined to the house and the other is joined to a neighbours garage. It just the back wall that is single brick.

Once again I was going to space them out 600mm so I could use 1200mm plasterboard.

Does that sound ok so far.

Thanks for the help

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:03 am