Supplementry bonding
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Gary67
Apprentice
Apprentice

Supplementry bonding

by Gary67 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:43 pm

Hello folks.
Can you get earth strap clamps for microbore sized cable. The reason I ask is that I've got a radiator in the bathroom that is fed with microbore pipes(10mm) and it requires supplementry bonding. The standard clamps that you can get off the shelf seem to be too big for the job.
I've considered using a radiator bolt on clamp, but have since been told that a chrome plated towel rail/radiator will be replacing the one that is there now.
I doubt very much that the new radiator will have a connection lug on it and I have considered the 17th edition way of using RCD protection on all the circuits supplying that room, so that I can elimate the bonding, but that isn't an option I can take at this stage.
Any ideas or the way forward will be much appreciated.
Regards Gary.

ericmark

by ericmark » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:41 am

You will need to check but I seem to remember if 1 meter or more of plastic pipe is used on feed to radiators they don't require earth bonding. The idea is if an accident should make one radiator live then earth bonding will blow fuse rather than it make other radiators live but if using plastic pipes this will also stop a fault in one area making another area live. There was a big thing about metal windows being earthed at one time, now they only require earths if cables are likely to be run through them. i.e. to plug in lawn mower. As to size the label has a minimum size but any clamp can be used as long as the label is attached so the jubblee clip would do as long as you use correct label.

333rocky333
Ganger
Ganger

by 333rocky333 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:48 pm

To the best of my knowledge
reg 601-04-01
Does the rad need bonding , unless joint to ext conductive parts i.e. structural metal, I thought it was only the metal pipes to a rad, that needs to be bonded not the actual rad.

And if plastic pipe then none at all.

As far as I know Even a metal bath with ALL PLASTIC hot, cold and waste pipes does not require supp bonding, UNLESS it is joint To extraneous conductive parts.

As far as i know
Any bonding clamp should conform to BS 951 But as ericmark said this MAY only relate to the label.

Although big and ugly why does the clamp not go down to 10mm?

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:57 am

Solder the supp bonding cable to the pipework. Then it doesn't have to be visible and you avoid an unsightly clamp in the bathroom.

Cheers

Gary67
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Gary67 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:36 pm

Thanks for the ideas. It is only the copper pipes that I wanted to bond, but I considered bonding just the radiator has a last resort. Not ideal, I know, but trying to conform with the current regs seems to be a bit of a problem some time.
As regards to the size of the strap. I physically tried to use one on the 10mm pipe and I couldn't get it to clamp properly.

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:28 pm

[quote="Gary67"]I physically tried to use one on the 10mm pipe and I couldn't get it to clamp properly.[/quote]

As above solder it on.

Cheers

333rocky333
Ganger
Ganger

by 333rocky333 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:57 pm

Apoligies if I am Wrong have you fitted the clamps before
Are you fitting clamp correct.
You just thread the tag through the slot , with the bolt backed out fully

Pull the tag tight as possible , then as you tighten the bolt the thing will pull even tighter.

Not personally tried but would think it would fit 10mm.

Pretty Sure it is the pipe that has to be bonded rather than the radiator.

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:29 pm