Tapping Pipes
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
matt666
Labourer
Labourer

Tapping Pipes

by matt666 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:52 am

Hi,

Question for the plumbers! When I have my central heating on, after about an hour the pipes in the bedroom start tapping. They will tap for 20 seconds then be quiet for a minute then tap again, coincides with the boiler firing. I have a combi boiler and the central heating system is relatively new, about 10 years old.

The tapping can be stopped by turning the radiator in the bedroom off, which worked for a while but doing that is causing damp in there, so if anyone has a solution it would be very much appreciated as it's driving me mad!

One more possibly relevant point, this all seemed to start after I had a new bathroom last year, which involved replacing the radiator for a towel rail. This was done by a professional plumber.

Any replies will be gratefully recieved!

Many Thanks
Matt

The Heating Doctor
Foreman
Foreman

by The Heating Doctor » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:19 pm

Has the plumber secured the pipework with pipe clips as it sounds like the pipes are moving when the boiler starts, which is when the pump will kick in.

matt666
Labourer
Labourer

by matt666 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:56 am

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure TBH. All the work he did was in the bathroom and consisted of taking out a radiator and moving one pipe slightly closer to the other to accomodate the towel rail. All the pipe work is under the floor upstairs under tiles in the bathroom and a laminate floor in the bedroom so it will be difficult to check the clips.

The tapping isn't coming from the bathroom, it comes from near the bedroom radiator, could a clip have come loose perhaps?

Would the only way to check be to rip the floor up?

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1