6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
alison1971
Tradesman
Tradesman

this is a new one on me - a tap that comes on, on it's own

Post by alison1971 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:27 pm

Hi
Ok, i am puzzled....
i had a new central heating system installed in july, the house wasnt being lived in, so really apart from the water used to clean paint brushes etc, no taps got used...
Anyway....we've been here jus over a week, and myself and my daughter have both experienced a wierd tap problem, that when i mentioned it to my plumber whom installed the central heating, he said it was impossible....

Ok, my daughter has had the bath tap come on, on its own whilsy she was in the shower, its an electric shower, and another time it came on whilst she she was using the hand basin.....wierd...

I then maybe slightly disbelieving, had an experience in the down stairs loo, basically the hot tap came on, on its own a few secs after i flushed the toilet.
Is this possible?
what wud cause it?
is my plumber right, is it impossible??
I have seen it with my own eyes now, so what cud be the cause?

any answers wud b great

alison :?

Dan the man
Ganger
Ganger

Post by Dan the man » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:10 pm

Theres only one explanation........POLTERGEIST ;-)

hamish72
Tradesman
Tradesman

Post by hamish72 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:01 pm

Poltergeist Plumbing Ltd comes to mind

Skids
Ganger
Ganger

Post by Skids » Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:53 pm

Hi A1971

New boiler with the new CH system?

Don’t forget the CH is a different system to the water supplied to the taps, yes the hot comes from the boiler which also heats the CH

Hot or cold tap or both?

If the old system was tank fed from the loft (1/2 to 2 bar) and the new boiled is mains supply (1.5 up to 10 bar) to the taps, you may find that the old taps don’t like the new high pressure coming from the boiler Hot / cold from mains.

Try changing the washers first.

BOL

Regards

Skids

alison1971
Tradesman
Tradesman

Post by alison1971 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:18 pm

Hi skids, this plumbing is puzzling me -
the whole central heating was new, new pipes, new combi, new radiators, new bathroom suite upstairs, new taps upstairs, new loo and sink downstairs and taps etc....
its happened again since posting this post -

i was actually outside with my daughter when i heard the flu outside fire up, thought - eh, i have no heating on, no waters being used, washers not on etc....so ad a look at combi, yep boiler light on...
thought gotta be jokin, so kitchen and downstairs loo taps are off fully, upstairs was off fully as id tightened them all on bath n sink, but wheni went upstairs - yes, the hot taps on again on the bath...

i dont get it, its really odd.
any ideas
alison

roxxmd
Labourer
Labourer

Post by roxxmd » Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:31 pm

Hi Alison 1971.

I think the problem with your taps turning themselves on, if you haven't already solved it, could be a problem with some debris or a screw in the pipework.

The pressure can push the object up against the tap and un seat the tap washer causing the tap to let water through.

The only way around this problem would be to completely flush all your pipwork out. take off the taps, attach a hose to the pipe and turn the water on. You will probably find a screw or other object comes out.

hope this helps

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:43 am