Tiled floor - Can Tile Grout Be Painted With Clear Marine Varnish?
Help, advice, information, answers and tips on all types of flooring from laminate and carpet to timber and vinyl

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
greengrass
Foreman
Foreman

Tiled floor - Can Tile Grout Be Painted With Clear Marine Varnish?

by greengrass » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:54 am

Question: can the grouting be painted with clear marine varnish to protect the surface stopping it getting grimy and making easy cleaning?

Ceramic tiled floor grout was re-grouted over old inset grout and had over time got grubby and won't clean up. I have managed to scrape out the top layer which hadn't fortunately adhered to the original layer so no have a nice clean inset layer of grout as it should be and is staying like it now as I am braving out the attacks.

How did it get levelled . ' Er indoors must be obeyed' I reckon most of us has got one of these, so did it and guessing the obvious because they are patterned tiles the edges of the grout were not straight and looked grubby as they did not clean well.

Her argument: 'Supermarket floor grout is level' I explained I'm not a Supermarket floor tiler I guess its done by machine and I'm not brilliant at DIY tiling either so go get a few thousand quid and get a professional in out of your savings or shut up and accept the inset grouting. I ducked when the saucepan came flying through the air.
Many thanks for reading.

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Tiled floor - Can Tile Grout Be Painted With Clear Marine Varnish?

by welsh brickie » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:00 pm

its best to scrape out the tile grout and renew it for best results, Its tedious work and relatively easy to do though.

greengrass
Foreman
Foreman

by greengrass » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:01 pm

Thanks for your input Welsh brickie

the original grouting was inset using a dowel the grubby grouting level with top of tiles was grubby and most easily removed as it hadn't set into the first layer. The grout added to the original inset grout to level the grout to the tiles (er in doors idea)most was easily removed as it was fairly thin and never adhered to the inset grouting. The inset grouting is that hard it would need a angle grinder to get it out.

As the original inset grout is still clean having been covered by the second layer is why I thought of the Marine varnish to stop dirt ingress. I might try an obscured grout joint to see what it looks like.

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by welsh brickie » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:04 pm

you could cover it in a laminate flooring they supply a tile effect pattern, or lino

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:27 am