Tiles above window
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Japer
Labourer
Labourer

Tiles above window

by Japer » Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:59 pm

I want to reinstate a row of tiles that were above one of my bedroom windows, (corbelling?). These were roof tiles which jutted out over the outside of the window.They were removed when double glazing was fitted, 25 years ago, as they prevented the new window from opening. The tiles were nailed to a wooden beam above the original window frame. (This did not appear to be a lintel as it was too short and not strong enough.)Their removal caused problems with water penetration as the window was not sealed against the wall which was solved using flashband. This works but it is not a very elegant solution so I would like to put the tiles back, adjusting them to clear the window. What would be the best way of doing this?

I have noted that some nearby houses that have the original windows also have flashband above the windows. Could the wood have rotted and be letting in water?

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Tiles above window

by welsh brickie » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:30 pm

you could screw new timber to the wall over the flashband and bed it with silicone and screw the tiles to the timber

Japer
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Tiles above window

by Japer » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:01 pm

That should do it, thank you.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:08 am