Tiles and bath
Advice and information on tiling and fixing tiles to a variety of surfaces

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Danc
Tradesman
Tradesman

Tiles and bath

Post by Danc » Sun May 18, 2008 8:52 am

Hi, I am after a bit of advice. I am doing up my bathroom and installing a new bath. Which is best; tile the wall then push the bath up to the tiles and seal OR push bath up to wall and then tile up from edge of bath so they overlap the bath slightly?

Many thanks

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by plumbbob » Sun May 18, 2008 6:56 pm

Always fit the bath first then tile. Apart from ensuring a water seal, it enables you to fill any gaps where the walls are out of square.

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by rosebery » Mon May 19, 2008 12:27 am

and tile DOWN to the bath.

Cheers

Danc
Tradesman
Tradesman

Post by Danc » Mon May 19, 2008 6:19 pm

Thanks for the help - is tiling down to the bath best? If the ceiling is not square to the wall etc would this not carry down to the bath and show a line different to the bath level. I may be being dumb but am new to this...

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by rosebery » Tue May 20, 2008 9:02 am

The trick with tiling is measuring out first. From a horizontal POV you want vto start at floor level and nail a batten perfectly level just under 1 tiles height from the floor. Then you can cut down into the flooring without having bitty pieces of tile. You allso get perfectly level grout lines.

The same applies to the bath so you may have to adjust thye height of the floor batten slightly to get the "best fit".

You then tile UP from the batten ands only when the maihn part of tiling is finished do you thehn gto back and tile DOWn to floor and bath.

Does that make sense?

Vertically you also need to lay out to have either a grout line or the centre of a tile over the centre of the taps and also lay out to have equal sized cuts either side of the window and at the corners.

Cheers

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by plumbbob » Tue May 20, 2008 10:47 am

I think you misunderstand what rosebery means.

Decide where the gaps in the rows are going to be, mark the wall, and fix a batten to the wall ONE ROW HIGHER than the bath. Start tiling above the batten. When the adhesive has dried, remove the batten and fill the gap with tiles each cut to length.

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by chris_on_tour2002 » Thu May 29, 2008 1:58 pm

danc - rosebery does not mean to start at the ceiling just one row higher than the bath.

personally, for aestetic reasons i start tiling at the bath. i prefer whole tiles along the bath as i think it looks better. also you can assume that the bath is perfectly level (it ought to be!) but it is a trade off if you are going to tile down to the floor. you may have tricky cuts.

as has been said, measure out carefully before starting.

Danc
Tradesman
Tradesman

Post by Danc » Thu May 29, 2008 9:31 pm

Thanks for all the advice. kind of had the decision forced on me as they delivered me a damaged bath and I needed to get on. so have measured out and have tiled everything except last row down to bath. fingers crossed my measurements are ok!

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Feb 18, 2024 2:30 pm