Tiling a bathroom floor
Advice and information on tiling and fixing tiles to a variety of surfaces

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
david.walsh@talktalk.net
Labourer
Labourer

Tiling a bathroom floor

by david.walsh@talktalk.net » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:25 am

I have just taken the carpet in my ground floor bathroom up so I can replace it with tiles. The carpet was glued to the concrete base underneath. When I removed it it has left a lot of glue resin and some of the carpet backing on the floor. I have tried to scrape and burn the resin off without ant joy.

Can anyone suggest how I overcome this? Do I keep trying to remove the resin or give up and lay a sheet of ply and tile on that? If I use ply, how do I fix it and do I need to prepare the concrete first?

If I keep trying are there any tricks I should know about?

Thanks

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:39 pm

Hire a floor scraper and using humungous amounts of ebow grease remove as much as you can.

Screed with a self levelling compound then tile over that using a flexible adhesive.

Cheers

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:43 pm

I can't offer anything other than Rosebery's suggestion except maybe speak to the hire shop and see if they have an electrical device to make the process easier.

One thing for sure, I was called out some time ago to a floor (not one I had been involved with laying) and the self levelling compound had been put on top of the stuff you describe, and it and the tiles were lifting badly. In fact, the floor has since, had to be completely relaid FOC by the installer.

Not that I feel sorry for him! He tried to blame it all on a supposed leak.

TheDoctor4
Project Manager
Project Manager

help at hand

by TheDoctor4 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:10 pm

For up to 5 FREE quotes from trusted, vetted and insured tradesmen in your area visit the DIY Doctor Find a Tradesman page: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/find_tradesmen/

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:54 pm