To dryline or not to dryline ?
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Griff.slap
Apprentice
Apprentice

To dryline or not to dryline ?

by Griff.slap » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:53 am

The back bedroom in my 1840 cottage, only has a single brick construction ( 5ins ) on the two outside walls. The condensation on these walls, due to it's coldness, is very bad. I've been told that drylining these two walls is a good idea. Taking off the old plaster, placing a membrane on the brickwork, then battens with polystyrene insulation between, then foil backed plasterboard and skim.
The small window is always open, so is the door, apart from nightime, and the room has a large radiator under the window, because the previous owner tried to keep the room warm, this rad will be replaced by a smaller one if the dry lining is successful.
My question is, will drylining do the trick ?

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:17 pm

Griff.slap,
The potential problem is that damp moist air will be able to get to the cold exterior walls around the perimeter of the dry lining. Add to this that you will have stopped the wall drying out by internal evaporation and this can result in water running out the bottom of the dry lined wall.
Can only suggest you try 1 room 1 wall and see what happens in the next prolonged cold spell.
end

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:59 pm