Toilet making a noise when flushed

Postby rhojoh » Mon May 14, 2007 7:46 pm

Hi

Hope someone can help? My toilet is making a strange noise when it is flushed. can't tell if it's coming from the toilet or the pipes. The noise is a bit like a clunking ?!? sound. It's a handle flush rather than a modern button style one. (don't know if that makes a difference!).

Thanks

Rhojoh
rhojoh
Progress to next rank:
25%

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby Arnak » Tue May 15, 2007 9:22 am

Hi,

Not quite sure on this one as it is difficult without hearing the noise.

Take the cistern lid of and check that the float is not oscillating up and down when the cistern re-fills.

I have seen this when the float oscillates up and down the water is momentarily shut off then on again, causing a sound like water hammer.

Try holding the float down and see if that helps.

If it is making more high pitched continuous sound then it could be the inlet valve sticking and not letting the full flow through.

In both cases try changing the washers etc in the inlet valve.

Arnak
Arnak
Progress to next rank:
50%

Postby rhojoh » Thu May 17, 2007 10:00 am

Thankyou - I'll have a look and see whats happening inside! Rhojoh :)
rhojoh
Progress to next rank:
25%

Postby Wendy-woo2 » Tue May 22, 2007 12:09 pm

I have a similar problem. I moved into a house at weekend and noticed that when the loo is flushed there is a resinating in the pipework, this is silenced if you open the cold water tap. The toilet is a handle flush also. I was wondering whether it would be worth me turning the stop-tap and reduce the water pressure to see if this works?
Wendy-woo2
Progress to next rank:
0%

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides

• DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!