Toilet sewage pipe too far from wall - help!!
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
silverflora
Labourer
Labourer

Toilet sewage pipe too far from wall - help!!

by silverflora » Sat May 17, 2008 11:15 am

I want to replace the bathroom suite in my 1970s built house. Currently it has a low level wc.

The problem is that the sewage pipe from this toilet goes into the ground ( rather than horizontally into the wall behind) and the opening in the ground is 33 cms away from the wall.

I can't find a replacement toilet / suite that can cope with that. All close coupled toilets need the sewage pipe to be much closer to the wall ; although B&Q do a low level WC (Romsey classic),they can't tell me whether this will cope the sewage pipe problem.

I can't be the only one who has enountered this propblem - what can I do? Is there a bathroom suite which will fit?

Thanks
Silverflora

ALDA
Foreman
Foreman

by ALDA » Sat May 17, 2008 1:24 pm

SILVERFLORA,

WITHOUT DRASTICLY ALTERING THE SOILPIPE LOCATION YOU COULD TRY FITTING A STANDARD SWAN NECK PAN CONNECTOR WHICH WILL GIVE YOU THE HORIZONTAL ENTRY YOU DESCRIBE BUT UNFORTUNATELY WILL STILL LEAVE YOU WITH THE 33cm OFFSET.

YOU COULD OF COURSE INTRODUCE A FALSE WALL/BOXED IN APPLICATION, UPON WHICH YOU COULD MOUNT THE PAN AND PAN CONNECTOR AND THIS WOULD ALSO PROVIDE THE SPACE FOR A HIDDEN CISTERN BUT MAY ALTOGETHER TAKE UP VALUEABLE FLOOR SPACE IN YOUR BATHROOM.
ITS YOUR CHOICE!

REGARDS,

ALDA.

jonnymhart
Labourer
Labourer

by jonnymhart » Sat May 17, 2008 2:41 pm

Hi, we have encountered a few of these. As far as I know there isn't a toilet that will go down rather than horizontally like the new ones. You can get a flexi pan connector that will go where you want or a 90 degree bend to get the soil down to the existing pipe outlet . There will be a void behind the toilet as this will not allow it to go back to the wall. You will have to construct a boxing behind the toilet to get a fixing through the cistern and to make it look good.

Jonny

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Sat May 17, 2008 3:04 pm

Any toilet will fit, it depends on how you want to fit it.

The older style toilets that have a flush pipe rather than a close coupled cistern will fit - no problems, and one's with the cistern in a unit with a back to wall pan look nice, again these have a flush pipe so will fit.

If you want a close coupled toilet and cistern, is there anyway you could build a unit or false back for it sit against, this will bring it forward to fit the soil connection ?

Htg

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Sat May 17, 2008 3:12 pm

This is really not an uncommon situation. In almost all circumstances a normal toilet pan will fit provided you use a swan neck pan connector.

Before buying a toilet measure the distance between the wall and the back edge of the of the pan's footprint using a display model. Provided this is greater than the gap between the wall and front edge of your installation, the toilet will fit.

In extreme cases, it may be necessary to build out the cistern from the wall slightly.

Ideal standard do a toilet where the outlet is sited further away from the wall, but is not cheap, and the model name escapes me at the moment.

edrandall
Labourer
Labourer

by edrandall » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:27 pm

Try looking for the Twyfords product sheet at twyfordbathrooms.com

shows useful diagrams with dimension - some models are available with a bottom-outlet design.

unik
Labourer
Labourer

asbestos and plastic

by unik » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:23 pm

CAN SOMEONE TELLS ME IF ASBESTOS DRAIN PIPE OF TOILET CAN BE FITTED WITH A NEW PLASTIC DRAIN PIPE?

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:47 am