All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
simonmil
Labourer
Labourer

Toilet Slow to Empty After Refitting

by simonmil » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:01 pm

Hi,

After recently removing a fairly old (probably mid-80's) toilet to re-plaster the wall behind it, I found that on re-installing it, the flush is now very lazy. Although the flow from the cistern seems about the same, instead of the bowl filling to about half way and then emptying with a strong flow, it now fills to about 3/4's and empties so slowly that there isn't really enough flow to move solids effectively.

After reading a number of forums, I have checked the soil pipe to see that it is clear and have poured a number of buckets of water directly into the pan and had the same lazy effect.

Now given my attachment to a square, plumb coloured toilet suite is not that strong, I am looking to replace it with a more contemporary one. However, before I do this I wanted to ensure that I don’t just walk into exactly the same problem with the new one. Could the problem be that, as a novice, I am doing something really wrong or could simply removing and refitting an old toilet mess up its internals (which must be pretty well furred up by now!).

Am I missing something or is it about time to retire the old girl?

Thanks, Simon.

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:03 pm

It sounds as though you certainly have a blockage or restriction of some description which won't necessarily be fixed by engaging the services of a new device.

You say you checked the soil pipe - did you remove the loo again to do that or by some other means. Is the soil pipe vertical coming out of the floor or is it horizontal?

What sort of pan connector do you have?

Did you drop anything into the pan during the work? Not as daft a question as it sounds as it's very easy to do and it may not have gone round the bend.

Did you empty your bucket into the pan? Even if you think you've diluted the contents of you bucket sufficiently the heavier elements in plaster can and will settle into a nice solid lump!

Cheers

simonmil
Labourer
Labourer

by simonmil » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:07 am

The soil pipe runs horizontally, at a slight downwards angle, for about 1 1/2 feet to the wall. It is the same soil pipe and pan connector connected in exacly the same way as before that wasn't causing a problem.

A tiny amount of dust and dirt got into the bowl during the plastering process but this was cleaned out before refitting. The bowl was flushed with only clean water.

Based on your respnse, and talking to others, I am guessing that I don't have to do anything special to make the think work. What is the best way to check for a blockage in the bowl?

Thanks again,

Simon.

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:55 am

Have you renewed the pan connector or any pipe ? is the pipe/connector falling the right way ?

Toilet pan level ? this would be noticeable to the eye, as it would have to be miles out of level to have this much affect on the flow, had to ask though as you would be surprised as to what some DIYers do.

simonmil
Labourer
Labourer

by simonmil » Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:29 pm

No, just refitted the original feed and soil pipes. Incidentally the pan connection leaks a little now but I felt this shouldn't affect the flush of the toilet and that once the flush is working, I can address the leak later.

Also, checked the level of the pan, on refitting, with a spirit level both side to side and front back.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:58 pm