Toliet leaks when flushed
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
a1taff
Labourer
Labourer

Toliet leaks when flushed

Post by a1taff » Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:26 pm

I have a Twyford close coupled wc which is about 15 years old but fine apart from the following:

I had to have a new syphon fitted a few months ago which I got a plumber to do for me. All went fine but I noticed a few days later that when the toilet was flushed water was dripping from the plastic connector unit that links the cistern to the bowl. It'd dripping where it fits flush to the back of the bowl.

I re-fitted it, made sure all was tight and still it drips from the same place.

It's driving me mad and has now damaged the flooring.

I called the plumber back but he can't fathom it. He put some plumbers mate around the joint but still it drips.

I have two choices, find out what's causing it to leak or rip out the whole bathroom suite.

Does anyone have any ideas? I'm assumimg the plastic joining unit (whatever its called) is not fitting quite flush but I can't get it to stop dripping.

nitro23456
Foreman
Foreman

Post by nitro23456 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:27 am

On the inside of the cistern at the bottom of the syphon you should have a thin rubber washer.

Between the cistern and the pan you should have a larger 'donut' shaped foam washer, through which goes the pipe from the bottom of the syphon into the pan. There is a large back nut (possibly made of plastic) there thats fixes this syphon to the inside of the cistern from the underside of the cistern.

You problem could be one of the three things..... ie first washer, donut washer or back nut not tightened sufficiently.

Check you have all three in place correctly and the back nut is sufficiently tight.. I bet you the washers werent replaced with the new syphon and your problem lies there.

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by rosebery » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:54 am

1. Get a new plumber.

2. Fit or get him to fit a NEW sealing ring.

3. Ensure the fixing bolts are tighetned down evenly.

Cheers

a1taff
Labourer
Labourer

Thanks so far

Post by a1taff » Sun May 04, 2008 1:50 pm

I seem to remember that there was a large black washer/ring sort of thing which fits into the back of the pan, actually into the china ring at the back of the pan. I think it was actually spongy type material.

The cistern certainly is fixed fine and the coupling unit was replaced and i'm now 100% sure that it's ok.

I think it is the donut, so what size to I buy????

It's a twyford close coupled as I said, but without taking the toilet apart, i'm not sure. I'm going to fix this myself so need some help with the size.

I want to replace the bathroom floor, so need to fix this before.

Steve the gas
Site Agent
Site Agent

doughnut

Post by Steve the gas » Mon May 05, 2008 8:09 am

As far as I'm aware the doghnut washer's are universal size,but my tip is,with pan and cistern dry silcone the washer onto pan and underside of cistern the refix and let it dry.Use buckets of water for the loo in drying time.
Regards

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:51 am