Tracing a Ring Main Interconnect
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
FatGit
Labourer
Labourer

Tracing a Ring Main Interconnect

Post by FatGit » Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:11 pm

I've got what looks like an interconnect between two ring mains (up and down stairs). How do I trace such a fault and how would it be resolved?
Also, has anyone got any suggestions of any books to read on electricals that cover common wiring faults.
cheers

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by sparx » Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:49 pm

Hi why do you think you have a prob?
not all circuits are wire upstairs/down stairs, some are wired front/back, some side/side, so if a fuse is out/MCB off and some upper plus some lower are off it may be OK, if so then some up/down will stay on.
If you genuinely have a ring to ring interconnection the only way to 'kill' 1 circuit will be to switch off both at once, if this is the case it's dangerous. In order to test circuits it will need disconnecting at consumer unit, (both circuits) and continuity tests on all 4 ends to determine rings & faults .Not DIY work!regards SPARX

FatGit
Labourer
Labourer

Post by FatGit » Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:52 pm

Hi,

The problem appears to be at one socket only - in order to isolate that socket, both rings need to be off. Incidently, to kill the downstrairs sockets there is no need to turn the upstairs ring off.
It sounds like this one socket has been wired accross two rings.

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by sparx » Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:06 pm

Hi agn,
the only way this can be is if your suspect socket gets its live from one ring & neutral from other, you realy do need professional help on this one, sorry but not DIY need test gear & someone who knows how to use it! It can't cost too much,
regards SPARX

FatGit
Labourer
Labourer

Post by FatGit » Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:54 pm

Hi Sparx,

It does sound nasty. I'll get someone in to have a look at it. Seems a strange way to connect the thing up :?

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:42 am