Tree Roots Have Damaged Wall, Cracks, Shifting Lintel and Help Needed With Fix
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Booey
Labourer
Labourer

Tree Roots Have Damaged Wall, Cracks, Shifting Lintel and Help Needed With Fix

Post by Booey » Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:21 pm

Hi All
Iam having a problem with a tree that had been growing for twenty plus years 2 foot away from a wall. The tree has now being removed and I would like some advice on putting things back right. It looks as though it was just the pressure of the roots squeezing the outside concrete foot that has pushed the wall in just above the slab. I don't think that the roots have gone under the slab they have hit it and ran along the side of it. My plan (please correct me if Iam wrong) is to remove the roots running along the outside wall footings and backfill with concrete. Then to acro prop the lintels inside, outside, and remove the bottom of the wall within the window frame the (external and block it up to the lintel and let the lintels sit on the new block work. then I want to stitch the cracks outside using them stainless steel stitching rods and the appropriate resin.Does this sound right is there anything else I need to consider like the purlins? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. if you require more pics or information just let me know
Many Thanks Tom
for photos please visit http://s1064.photobucket.com/user/tom_851/slideshow/

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Tree Roots Have Damaged Wall, Cracks, Shifting Lintel and Help Needed With Fix

Post by welsh brickie » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:21 pm

The problem is with the lintel not the tree root, the bearing is not enough and it has contracted causing the cracking.
Its best to remove the lintel and replace it with a concrete one, You will need 150mm minimum bearing on each side of the opening

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 5:14 pm