trimming the bottom off a skirting board
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
martin.rose26
Labourer
Labourer

trimming the bottom off a skirting board

by martin.rose26 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:54 am

i would like to lay a timber floor on concrete and need to trim the bottom off the existing skirting board so i can run the floorboards underneath it. the room has recently been redecorated and i would rather not have to remove the skirting if i can help it.

is there a special tool that would make cutting approx 20mm of the bottom relatively easy and neat?

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:02 pm

martin.rose26,
Try a fein multitool or similar but expect to ruin a number of blades.
end

dannypthechippy
Apprentice
Apprentice

by dannypthechippy » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:39 pm

if i was u i would buy a timber scotia mould and fit it to the perimeter this way will save you a lot of time and money. if you decide to trim the bottoms off ur skirting make sure its tounge an groove boards cuz you will neva do it if the floor is the standard laminated system :)

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:51 pm

you may find that you will have to remove the skirting on one side of the room at least.

if tongue and groove (which is likely) then you will not be able to slide the flooring under the skirting and get it over the tongue of the neighbouring timber strip.

just telling you that as you may find it easy at first, but when you get to the other side of the room and are about to put the last pieces in you will discover this problem.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:41 pm