Two cables into light fitting in new house
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Henry
Labourer
Labourer

Two cables into light fitting in new house

by Henry » Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:19 pm

Having searched this forum for information, I can clearly see how I would connect three cables, each with three wires into a new light fitting. However, I have bought a new house and have only two cables coming out of the roof in the loft. The new electrical colours have been used so I have blue brown and earth on each of the two cables. One of the brown cables appears to be live and the other appears to go to a switch. If i connect the switch live to the live on the light fitting, I don't get any light whether the switch is on or off. If I connect the other live, then the light stays on permanently.

Any help gratefully received.

Jeffmo
Ganger
Ganger

by Jeffmo » Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:57 pm

hi this is end of loop, hence only two cables .Try connecting both browns together in seperate connector block . Then there should be a blue with brown sleeve on it this goes to live of light and other blue goes to blue of light fitting . All earths together and one to light fitting if metal that is not double insulated ( double square symbol) . hope this helps .Regards Jeff.If this don't work try alternating Blues from cable to blue of light .Remember to icolate lighting circuit first.

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:37 pm

Hi Henry,
the cable with the Live also has your fittings Neutral, so the 2 blues go to your lights L + N, and the 2 browns go together but don't connect to light at all, the blue that is not your N should be marked with brown tape/sleeving as it is the returning sw. Live, regards SPARX

Henry
Labourer
Labourer

Thanks Sparx and Jeffmo

by Henry » Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:42 am

[quote="sparx"]Hi Henry,
the cable with the Live also has your fittings Neutral, so the 2 blues go to your lights L + N, and the 2 browns go together but don't connect to light at all, the blue that is not your N should be marked with brown tape/sleeving as it is the returning sw. Live, regards SPARX[/quote]

Worked like a charm. There was no tape on either of the neutrals but I was able to check the colour of the cable (slightly different) by checking the switch and put the switched neutral onto the live and left the other on the neutral. It's earthed to the fitting (both earths) and the lives are together in a separate block. Many, many thanks.

Henry
Labourer
Labourer

Thanks Sparx and Jeffmo

by Henry » Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:44 am

Thanks very much. I did exactly as you said, but as there was no tape on either of the neutrals I traced the slightly different colour neutral from the colour in the switch and put that to the live, leaving the other in neutral in the light fitting. It's all earthed (both cables to light fitting) and the lives are together in a separate block. Thank you both for your quick reply.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:10 pm