underfloor heating problems

Postby hebs » Mon Dec 24, 2007 10:07 am

I have a conventional heating system with radiators,and a single room with underfloor heating,supplied from this system. This room is cold. I have bled the system and all the other radiators are working. I suspect an airlock in the UFH pipe or a UFH pump problem, but this is buried beneath a solid floor ( I am trying to avoid the mess of getting to it). Is there any way of bleeding the underfloor system without getting to the pump ?

Many thanks
hebs
Progress to next rank:
0%

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby htg engineer » Mon Dec 24, 2007 10:29 pm

"Is there any way of bleeding the underfloor system without getting to the pump ?" probably not

Without seeing the installation it is quite difficult to answer.
htg engineer

Postby Perry525 » Tue Dec 25, 2007 2:34 pm

When installing underfloor heating it is always best to install a dedicated pump to boost the pressure through, what can be a quite long pipe run with all the additional resistance problems.
From reading your blog, I would guess that this under floor heating was tacked on to the original system, probably without taking the extra load into account. Check to see if you have a basic pump. Is the pump set up to maximum pressure? If not, turn it to maximum and see what happens.
If that doesn't do the trick, make a lash up that will deliver mains water pressure to the floor loop, try blowing it out.
Quite possibly if you have a cast iron boiler the pipe will be partly filled with rust, enough to bring the loop to a stop but not block it.
Best of luck.
Perry525
Progress to next rank:
46.8%

Postby roger196 » Tue Dec 25, 2007 5:48 pm

Without knowing anything about your system, I can only suggest questions/advice in very general terms.
Has the UFH system ever worked correctly. If it has recently failed, what has happened to have caused this.
Are you sure there is a seperate UFH pump
If there is one, is there no access panel for maintenance ( ? under carpets)
Are there any isolation valves to the UFH system
Have you tried turning off all the other rads except one to force water thru the UFH system ( this assumes that it has not been isolated not has a separate pump). Turn the other rads down slowly.
roger196
Progress to next rank:
22.7%

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides

• DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!