Underfloor pipes - how could you detect a leak?
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
123bashforth
Apprentice
Apprentice

Underfloor pipes - how could you detect a leak?

Post by 123bashforth » Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:34 pm

Hi

A hypothetical problem...but I'm wondering if there is an answer!

Recently we had water damage to the ceiling of our downstairs toilet. It was caused by a corroded water pipe, and bought a good amount of the ceiling down.

I expect the remainder of the pipes in the house are of a similar age and condition. So I was wondering how you would ever know of a problem occurring under the floorboards.

Our house is Victorian, so the pipes are in the void below the floorboards rather that in/on a concrete floor.

I'm trying not to sound paranoid - but our house has been neglected for at least 30 years, and we seem to be experiencing the results of this all at once.

Thanks for looking.

alavapint
Tradesman
Tradesman

Post by alavapint » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:47 pm

If it was a copper pipe that corroded ... and you think the rest of the pipes are of the same age. Then it may be worth investigating the condition of the other pipework.

If you happen to have a water meter fitted...check that no water is being used in the house (no taps running, washing machine off etc.),
Have a look at the meter for a couple of minutes. If your meter is not going round ... then no water is leaking...
It would show on the meter if any water was leaking under floor boards, or anywhere else..

If you haven't got a meter ... you will need a pry bar to get the floor boards up..!

Good luck..!

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:57 am