Underground Electric Gate Kits - hydraulic v electric motor
Find answers to popular questions or post your own regarding any aspect of home entertainment

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
ystradisaf
Labourer
Labourer

Underground Electric Gate Kits - hydraulic v electric motor

by ystradisaf » Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:17 am

I am fitting electric underground openers to my gates (soon to be built). I notice that there are two types of kits - hydraulic and electromechanical (electric motors).

Motors are generally cheaper, though I am told that hydraulic systems are stronger, quieter & longer lasting.

I want to buy a good quality kit that is going to be reliable. I know a lot of people use CAME (electromechanical) - approx £1000. Then there are companies such as Protecto that sell kits such as the 'Shark' for around £600.

Which type do I buy? Hydraulic or motor? What makes are the best?

I am loathe to use a gate supplier to fit the automation for me as you pay the fitters and the company who sends them. I have lined up the groundworks contruction manager (who is building a small estate 100 yards away) who is also an electrician. I am hoping he can do the job & I will help out. Does this sound sensible?

thanks for your suggestions. I would love to speak to someone who knows a bit about underground kits, or who has one.

gateinstaller.co.uk
Labourer
Labourer

by gateinstaller.co.uk » Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:56 am

Hydraulic and Electromechanical motors, like with most things have pluses and minuses.

Hydraulic motors are subject to environmental conditions, when it's cold the gates are slower, when warm, quicker which could be a problem for a gate that needs to open quickly from a main road. However typically hydraulic motors (in particular ram motors) can open heavier gates. Hydraulic motors do have the problem of hydraulic fluid, should something rupture.

Electromechanical motors are more consistent with opening speeds and equally as reliable, assuming they are fitted correctly. Electric motors are no noisier, especially underground motors, once that lid is on you'll not hear a squeak, not that noise will really effect you in any case, the gates will be closed before you leave you car most likely.

When it comes to price, again as with most things you pay for what you get. CAME motors have a 3 year warranty, I don't know what Protecto offer or the hydraulic motors, but I guess if the motor you buy has a good warranty and low return rate you can be confident that it will last for many years without problems.

I think the last thing to think about is regular maintenance which ever motor you choose, motors exposed to the elements will suffer problems, regular checks and services will nip problems in the bud, just like with a car, and keep the gates operating for many years.

Snagright
Labourer
Labourer

by Snagright » Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:19 am

Hi I used to work at installing automatic gate systems. The CAME Frog underground motor is a good one but alos have a look at the CAME domestic systems they are also good. All gate systems are good onece not abused, being tipped by cars or kids standing on them as they open and close

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:02 am